Team Performance Inventory: Participant Workbook
As a Team Unit
As a participant, you will use this workbook when attending the Team Performance Inventory workshop. The information gained will help you better understand your team's stage of performance, where your team is on the performance curve, and what it can do to strengthen its effectiveness and achieve its goals.
As a Team Member
You will use this workbook as a resource for ongoing individual development to increase your contribution to your team. You will apply the concepts and principles presented in the workshop to improve your own and your team's performance. There are twelve (12) tools in the form of exercises specifically designed to address issues encompassing both team task and interpersonal behaviors. Completing these exercises will make you a stronger team player.
As a Reference and Guide
You will use this workbook as a reference for further information and study. You will find it beneficial to revisit the characteristics of team stages: what members want to know, leader's role, member's role, action steps to be accomplished, indicators of open items, key traits, and suggested development activities.
Team Performance Inventory Participant’s Workbook
The Team Performance Inventory Participant’s Workbook contains teaming principles, concepts, and development activities to help you understand your Team Performance Inventory Assessment results and the correlation of these results to your contributions and effectiveness as a team member. It provides teams:
- An opportunity to assess its strengths and determine areas for improvement.
- A model that explains the stages of team performance and identifies the typical barriers teams encounter that can impede their growth and success. By being aware of any barriers, roadblocks, or workarounds, your team may be confronting, you can target the training and development needed to overcome them.
- A valuable insight into your team’s unique dynamics and performance. behaviors.
- A process for members to explore their interactions with one another, to understand how they communicate and solve problems as a unit, and to build trust and collaboration within the team.
- A developmental roadmap with incremental milestones and practical action steps.
The Team Performance Inventory Participant’s Workbook will help members:
- Identify points of vulnerability and areas in which conflict and setbacks are most likely to occur.
- Build a climate that promotes trust and understanding among team members. Evaluate their personal commitment to the team and identify steps they can take to improve their effectiveness and make them a stronger team player.
- Develop effective ways to work through task and relationship issues that impede team performance.
- Understand that team development is not a workshop, event, or program, but an on-going process and commitment. No team is ever perfect; there is always room for improvement.
- Achieve goals that bring value to the team, the organization, and its stakeholders.
Table of Contents
I. The Benefits of Teams
Teams – Today's Reality
Teams – More Than a Group of Individuals
How Teams Benefit Organizations
How Teams Benefit Individuals
Team Building: A Continuing Process
II. Introduction to the Four Stages of Team Performance
Key Dimensions of Team Performance: Task and Relationship
Characteristics of the Four Stages of Team Performance
Stages’ Life Cycle
III. Individual and Team Development Plans
Individual Development Plan
Team Development Plan
IV. Tools for Developing Effective Team Performance
Tools for Developing Effective Team Performance
What’s Important to Me, What’s Important to You
Exercise 1: What’s Important to Me, What’s Important to You
What’s Important to Me Worksheet
Co-Worker’s Profile Worksheet
Exercise 2: Team and Personal Values
Exercise 3: Talent Inventory Discussion Worksheet
Trust Me, Trust You
Exercise 4: Trust Assessment
Speak Up, Listen Up
Exercise 5: Active Listening Assessment
Think “We,” Rather Than “I” versus You
Exercise 6: Conflict Management Worksheet
Giving and Receiving Feedback
Exercise 7: Planning Feedback Worksheet
Exercise 8: Affirmation Worksheet
Career Development Journal
Exercise 9: Career Development Journal Worksheet
Individual Success versus Team Success
Exercise 10: Team Player Assessment
Exercise 11: Stylemarks of a High Performing Team Worksheets
Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M)
Exercise 12: Plan of Action and Milestones Worksheet
Exercises and Resources
Go to www.wiley.com and put Darlene Davis is the search field.
ISBN: 978-0-7879-8669-8, Paperback, 112 pages, US $37.00 (Prices subject to change without notice. Check www.wiley.com for current price).
The Ryan Group, Inc.